- Hip prep is a series of 6 exercises. I use it with my patients to prime the glutes and lower body in general before getting into more dynamic and plyometric activities. I will make the statement right now: if done RIGHT, it's an absolute glute killer and I promise you that you will feel your glutes!
- I like these 6 exercises in particular for a variety of reasons.
- ✅They challenge the glutes in all 3 planes of motion.
- ✅They hit all types of muscle contractions: isometric, concentric, and eccentric
- ✅They are performed upright in a functional position
- ✅There is a variety of double leg, single leg, and split stance variations
- ✅They train proper lower extremity alignment in a variety of hip and trunk flexed/neutral/extended positions
- The 6 exercises are:
- 1️⃣3 way clams: 5 per leg per position
- 2️⃣Side steps: Alternating steps to the left and right starting with 1 step all the way to 5 steps
- 3️⃣Monster Walks: 10 steps forward, 10 steps backwards
- 4️⃣W's: 10 steps to the left, 10 steps to the right
- 5️⃣Squats: 10 squats
- 6️⃣Single leg firehydrants: 30s per side