- HOW: Perform a squat with a resistance band at the knees at the desired tempo.
Tempo exercises consist of 4 different numbers. In the example of a 5310 tempo squat:
- 5 is the lowering or eccentric portion
- 3 is the pause at the bottom or isometric portion
- 1 is the rising or concentric portion
- 0 is the rest between reps at the top.
Sometimes you will use an "X" to denote as fast as possible.
- FEEL: You should feel all the muscles in your legs working, with an emphasis on the quadriceps and glutes.
- COMPENSATION: Maintain your desired tempo! It's common to speed up and not go as slow as the tempo that is prescribed.