During your rehabilitation, there will be a heavy emphasis on strengthening the gluteal muscles as they play a primary role in preventing a future ACL injury. You can begin to strengthen these muscles even before surgery, and the glute bridge is a perfect way to do so that is safe for your knee.To Perform this exercise:
- Slightly squeeze your core. Maintain this activation throughout the entire exercise
- Squeeze both of your glutes. Think of drawing your cheeks inward.
- Lift your hips into the air by driving your heels into the ground
- Do not arch from your lower back.
- You should feel a deep muscle burning in your glutes
- If you feel a hamstring cramp, scoot your feet closer towards your glutes
- If you feel a stretch on the top of your thighs, don’t worry! It means your quadriceps are tight and need the stretch!